Tuesday, April 15, 2008

You can't miss these covers and Adobe TV

In light of past class talks about George Lois during our historical presentations and the Lindsay Lohan/Marilyn Monroe cover, a post at Publication Design this past week caught my eye. The blog was upset over the poor use of a well-known Lois cover image on the May cover of Esquire. I have to agree with them. The original was successful at least in part because of the concept behind the image, the masculinization of women. This new one doesn’t seem to have much of a purpose other than putting Jessica Simpson in a baring and provocative pose. Here are the two covers below, images courtesy of Publication Design. What do you think?

I was excited to find Adobe TV on the Adobe website. There’s a channel specifically for designers with tutorial videos on everything from the beginning steps to learning Flash to more advanced illustrations using Photoshop CS3 Extended. Some are a little more fun (or annoying) or a little more helpful than others. The images below are screen caps from an episode of Caffe Fibonacci, which provides helpful tips and tricks for InDesign. Within just a few minutes, I learned how to paste vector art into display type.

3 comments:

becky sternberg. said...

i agree with you. The first time it was done well. The second is more provocative. And the image isn't as nice with the cluttering of sell lines squeezed around Jessica.

Kristin said...

Let me take this opportunity to say, I HATE this cover. It's all wrong.

Rebecca Bierig said...

I couldn't agree with you more about the Esquire cover. I was so angry when I saw it that I had to complain about it on my blog, too.