
The history presentations in class Tuesday were fascinating. It’s amazing how much magazines have changed, but also how much they have stayed the same. I thought Kirby’s presentation on Ladies Home Journal during WWII was particularly interesting. I love history and was interested by the impact of the magazine on that time period, such as with the mother/daughter cover illustrations, which were picked up by the government for propaganda. As for the design and the magazine content structure from her presentation, Ladies Home Journal seemed similar to Good Housekeeping in the

1960s, which I looked at. The nameplate and cover design changed often and inconsistently. The serial fiction stories were definitely illustrated in a similar, romance novel style. Also, each issue had front of book regular content and then the feature well, which would have one introduction page or spread to a story. The rest of the book was nothing but text-filled pages of the continued stories. Was this to save space? I wonder how many women read past the first spread of a story. Also, as you’ll see in my

presentation, I was impressed by the range of feature design, especially in the early 1960s. It wasn’t what I was expecting from a traditional women’s magazine. I took way too many photos, so here are a few that didn’t fit in my presentation.
1 comment:
I agree with you about Kirby's presentation. I liked seeing how the layout was effected by the times but also tried to affect the times as well. And was I the only one who thought the mother-daughter thing was visually appealing? I mean, the sentiment is insulting and all that, but as an artist and designer I am really drawn to that "Fun With Dick and Jane" style of illustration! I know, I'm pathetic.
Post a Comment